Wiki Loves Monuments (WLM) is a public competition where you can photograph the monuments that symbolise our cultural heritage (buildings, statues, shipwrecks, etc.) and share the photos with the world by uploading them to Wikimedia Commons: a database of freely usable media files to which anyone can contribute and which anyone can use. In 2012, the very first South African WLM competition will take place, organised by Wikimedia ZA. Read more here
Join us at the WLM launch event on Saturday, 1 September, in Cape Town to learn more about the competition, to meet fellow Wikipedians, photographers and heritage enthusiasts, and to get a sampling of the local heritage sites.
- 13:00 — Castle of Good Hope
- A guided tour in the Castle of Good Hope
- 15:00 — Event launch at the Sendinggestig Museum (Old Slave Church), 40 Long Street, Cape Town.
- Welcoming note by museum curator
- Introduction of other partners and collaborators
- Introduction to the competition
- Photo upload demonstration
- Networking event with finger dinner