On Saturday the 23rd of November 2013 Wikimedia South Africa hosted the awards gala for the 2013 Wiki Loves Monuments Photographic competition. We wish to give our warmest congratulations to this year's winners.
Additionally we would like to thank everyone that attended this year's award gala held at the Midrand Premier Hotel in Midrand, Gauteng Province. Around forty people attended from across the country representing all walks of life and all with an interest in South Africa's heritage.
We would also like to thank our sponsors and organisational supporters. Without them this event would not have been possible. This year we would like to welcome Orms as our newest partners for Wiki Loves Monuments South Africa moving forward.
- THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING!
Submissions for the 2013 Wiki Loves Monuments photographic competition in South Africa has come to an end.
This year 6,432 photographs were submitted to Wiki Loves Monuments South Africa. This is a fantastic increase from the 1,858 submitted last year. We have also noted that the quality of pictures submitted this year in South Africa has greatly increased. We would like to thank each of the 89 participants that submitted photographs in 2013.
If you missed this year's competition or would like to participate again in next year's competition then start taking photographs now to submit in Wiki Loves Monuments 2014 in September 2014.
- You can view all of the photographs submitted during Wiki Loves Monuments South Africa 2013 on Wikimedia Commons here.
- You can view all of the photographs submitted globally during 2013 on Wikimedia Commons here.
This year a grand total of 369,589 photographs were submitted by 11,943 participants from all over the world totalling 1,287.9 gigabytes of submitted pictures. This is a slight increase of 4195 photographs from the 365,394 submitted globally in 2012. Thereby once again making this year's competition the largest photographic competition in the world.
- THE WINNERS ARE...
The winners for the 2013 Wiki Loves Monuments ZA photographic competition are:
- First Prize: Valley of Desolation-013 by Leo za1
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R7,500.
- Second Prize: Arthur Nathan by Leanri van Heerden
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R4,000.
- Third Prize: Boschendal_Various._09 by Chris Snelling
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R2,500.
- Most Entries Prize: with a staggering 1,677 photographs goes to Leo za1
- Best Picture of a Proposed Monument: Port Elizabeth Cape Receife Lighthouse proposed site at night by Suzi-k
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R3,000.
Congratulations to our winners!
Our top three winning photographs have been submitted with seven other submissions as part of the ten top photographs submitted by South Africa into the international Wiki Loves Monuments competition. All of the competing photographs for the international competition, including the South African entries, can be viewed here.
- Valley of Desolation-013.jpg
The first place winning photograph. Valley of Desolation-013 by Leo-za1
- Arthur Nathan.jpg
The second place winning photograph. The Arthur Nathan Swimming Pool in Bloemfontein by Leanri van Heerden.
- Boschendal Various. 09.jpg
The third place winning photograph. The Boschendal Wine Cellar, south end by Chris Snelling.
- Port Elizabeth Cape Receife Lighthouse proposed site at night.JPG
The best proposed monument winner by Suzi-k