Wiki Loves Monuments South Africa 2014
What is Wiki Loves Monuments?
Click here to learn more about Wiki Loves Monuments in South Africa.
Wiki Loves Monuments has organised a number of events during the month of September. If you are interested in submitting photographs to Wiki Loves Monuments, then please join us.
20 September 2014: V&A Waterfront Scavenger Hunt and Upload Marathon
- Date: Saturday, 20 September 2014
- Time: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Location: Clock Tower Vida e Caffé, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town
- Join us for a leisurely monument scavenger hunt starting and ending at the Clock Tower Vida e Caffé at the V&A Waterfront to photograph nearby monuments. We will meetup where we started at 1:00pm where we will be on hand to help people upload and submit their photographs to the competition. You can find a list of monuments in the area at the link here.
24 September 2014: Wikitakes Simon's Town
- Date: Wednesday (Heritage Day), 24 September 2014
- Time: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Location: Simons Town Train Station, Cape Town
- On Heritage Day we will be meeting for a monument scavenger hunt in Simon's Town to photograph nearby monuments and Jubilee Square. You can find a list of monuments in the Simon's Town area at the link here. Participants will have an option to take photographs in the surrounding area or join the first part of the Simon's Town Museum Heritage Day programme, which will consist of a procession from the Simon’s Town station, to the Forced Removals Monument, at Jubilee Square, the laying of a wreath, speeches and a procession back to the Museum. After which participants will be able to choose between breaking off for lunch elsewhere in Simon's Town or viewing the firing of the Gun (a listed monument) at the Middle North Battery. We will meetup after lunch at 1:00pm the Simon's Town Museum for an upload marathon to help people upload and submit their photographs to the competition.
Participants are encouraged to bring a picnic lunch, a camera, and some sunscreen. A list of monuments will be available at the event.
27 September 2014: Wikitakes Franschhoek
- Date: Saturday, 27 September 2014
- Time: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Location: Old Library, Franschhoek
- Join us for a leisurely monument scavenger hunt at the Old Library, Franschhoek to photograph nearby monuments. We will meetup where we started at 1:00pm where we will be on hand to help people upload and submit their photographs to the competition. You can find a list of monuments in the area at the link here.
South African Monuments
Find your monument's SAHRA-ID
The 3614 national heritage estates in South Africa are categorized into three grades:
- Heritage resources with qualities so exceptional that they are of special national significance. There are 18 sites in this category.
- Heritage resources which, although forming part of the national estate, can be considered to have special qualities which make them significant within the context of a province or a region. There are 3019 sites in this category, of which 1500 sites are unmapped.
- Other heritage resources worthy of conservation. There are 39,145 sites in this category, all of them unmapped.
This competition will target photographing, uploading and categorizing grade I and II monuments. Read more on Commons…
A list of grade I through to grade II monuments in your province and their respective SAHRA ID can be found here.
Below is a list of some suggested monuments for participants to photograph of both listed and unlisted locations. As always participants are encouraged to photograph widely as they like and also consider photographing other listed and unlisted locations.
Suggested listed monuments
These locations are all listed grade I and II monuments in South Africa. You can see a list of other monuments nearby by clicking on their respective links.
- Table Mountain, Cape Town. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/018/0022 (other nearby monuments)
- Muizenberg Railway Station, Main Road, Muizenberg, Cape Town. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/081/0031 (other nearby monuments)
- Oak trees, Dorp Street and The Avenue, Stellenbosch. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/084/0001-026 (other nearby monuments)
- Tokai Arboretum, Tokai Forest, Tokai, Cape Town. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/111/0017 (other nearby monuments)
- Jonkershuis, Non Pareille, Daljosafat, Paarl District, Western Cape. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/069/0001/002-03 (other nearby monuments)
- Johannesburg City Hall Complex, Rissik Street, Johannesburg. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/228/0068 (other nearby monuments)
- Old High Court of Griqualand West, Southey Street, Kimberley, Northern Cape. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/049/0011 (other nearby monuments)
- Fort Murray, Zwelitsha District, Eastern Cape. SAHRA-ID: 4/K/King/1 (other nearby monuments)
- St James Church, 35 Somerset Street, Graaff-Reinet, Eastern Cape. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/033/0016 (other nearby monuments)
Suggested unlisted monuments
Unfortunately a number of the suggested unlisted monuments we had recommended previously might be subject to Freedom of Panorama issues. We have therefore asked that pictures of monuments that were built recently not be submitted. We are sorry for the confusion.