The 3614 national heritage estates in South Africa are categorized into three grades:
- Grade I:
- Heritage resources with qualities so exceptional that they are of special national significance. There are 18 sites in this category.
- Grade II:
- Heritage resources which, although forming part of the national estate, can be considered to have special qualities which make them significant within the context of a province or a region. There are 3019 sites in this category, of which 1500 sites are unmapped.
- Grade III:
- Other heritage resources worthy of conservation. There are 39,145 sites in this category, all of them unmapped.
This competition will target photographing, uploading and categorizing grade I and II monuments. Read more on Commons…
A list of grade I through to grade II monuments in your province and their respective SAHRA ID can be found here.
Below is a list of some suggested monuments for participants to photograph of both listed and unlisted locations. As always participants are encouraged to photograph widely as they like and also consider photographing other listed and unlisted locations.
Suggested listed monuments
These locations are all listed grade I and II monuments in South Africa. You can see a list of other monuments nearby by clicking on their respective links.
- Table Mountain, Cape Town. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/018/0022 (other nearby monuments)
- Muizenberg Railway Station, Main Road, Muizenberg, Cape Town. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/081/0031 (other nearby monuments)
- Oak trees, Dorp Street and The Avenue, Stellenbosch. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/084/0001-026 (other nearby monuments)
- Tokai Arboretum, Tokai Forest, Tokai, Cape Town. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/111/0017 (other nearby monuments)
- Jonkershuis, Non Pareille, Daljosafat, Paarl District, Western Cape. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/069/0001/002-03 (other nearby monuments)
- Johannesburg City Hall Complex, Rissik Street, Johannesburg. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/228/0068 (other nearby monuments)
- Old High Court of Griqualand West, Southey Street, Kimberley, Northern Cape. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/049/0011 (other nearby monuments)
- Fort Murray, Zwelitsha District, Eastern Cape. SAHRA-ID: 4/K/King/1 (other nearby monuments)
- St James Church, 35 Somerset Street, Graaff-Reinet, Eastern Cape. SAHRA-ID: 9/2/033/0016 (other nearby monuments)
Suggested unlisted monuments
Unfortunately a number of the suggested unlisted monuments we had recommended previously might be subject to Freedom of Panorama issues. We have therefore asked that pictures of monuments that were built recently not be submitted. We are sorry for the confusion.