- MIDRAND PREMIER HOTEL TO HOST PRIZE GIVING EVENT
The 2013 Wiki Loves Monuments - South Africa Prize giving event has been confirmed and Premier Hotels & Resorts will again be hosting this local climax of the biggest photo competition in the world.
With over 20 years experience developing and managing hotels, conference centres, boutique concept hotels and restaurants, the company has a proven longstanding reputation for delivering superior results through forward focused ingenuity and exceptional asset management. Their newly opened hotel in Midrand will host the evening gala with style. It is located halfway between Johannesburg and Pretoria, the two major cities in the Gauteng province. The main artery in Gauteng, the N1 freeway, runs straight through the middle of Midrand.
As part of the strengthening partneship with Wikimedia ZA, Premier Hotels & Resorts will sponsor a prize of a 2 night stay including breakfast at any Premier Hotel, (Terms and Conditions apply) towards the Wiki Loves Monuments event. This will be allocated to the first prize and overall national winner. The winning photograph for 2013 Wiki Loves Monuments South Africa has just become monumental in its own!
- SAVE THE DATE
The price giving event gala will be held as follows:
- Date: 23 November 2013 (Saturday)
- Time: 17h30pm for 18h00pm
- Venue: Midrand Premier Hotel
There are 25 tickets available for anyone who has means to attend on the day. Please email thuvack@gmail to reserve.
- THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING!
Submissions for the 2013 Wiki Loves Monuments photographic competition in South Africa has come to an end. During October the entries will be judged by our competition jury. Winning photographs and their respective up loaders will be announced in November 2013.
This year 6,432 photographs were submitted to Wiki Loves Monuments South Africa. This is a fantastic increase from the 1,858 submitted last year. We have also noted that the quality of pictures submitted this year in South Africa has greatly increased. We would like to thank each of the 89 participants that submitted photographs in 2013.
If you missed this year's competition or would like to participate again in next year's competition then start taking photographs now to submit in Wiki Loves Monuments 2014 in September 2014.
- You can view all of the photographs submitted during Wiki Loves Monuments South Africa 2013 on Wikimedia Commons here.
- You can view all of the photographs submitted globally during 2013 on Wikimedia Commons here.
This year a grand total of 369,589 photographs were submitted by 11,943 participants from all over the world totalling 1,287.9 gigabytes of submitted pictures. This is a slight increase of 4195 photographs from the 365,394 submitted globally in 2012. Thereby once again making this year's competition the largest photographic competition in the world.
- THE WINNERS ARE...
The winners for the 2013 Wiki Loves Monuments ZA photographic competition are:
- First Prize: Valley of Desolation-013 by Leo za1
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R7,500.
- Second Prize: Arthur Nathan by Leanri van Heerden
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R4,000.
- Third Prize: Boschendal_Various._09 by Chris Snelling
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R2,500.
- Most Entries Prize: with a staggering 1,677 photographs goes to Leo za1
- Best Picture of a Proposed Monument: Port Elizabeth Cape Receife Lighthouse proposed site at night by Suzi-k
- Vouchers from Orms to the value of R3,000.
Congratulations to our winners!
Our top three winning photographs have been submitted with seven other submissions as part of the ten top photographs submitted by South Africa into the international Wiki Loves Monuments competition. All of the competing photographs for the international competition, including the South African entries, can be viewed here.