Do you want more information on the competition? Do you want to meet fellow Wikipedians, photographers, or heritage enthusiasts? Come to the WLM Launch Event on Saturday September 1, in Cape Town.
- 13h, Castle of Good Hope
An exploration of the underground heritage of the Mother City OR a guided tour in the museum. Both tours will take about 1h30. You will get free entry to the Castle.
- Underground heritage:
Parts of the city canals and rivers date back to 1652, when they used to supply the Company Gardens and the passing ships with fresh water in Jan van Riebeeck’s days. The rivers flowing through the bustling seaside town became pleasant walkways, shaded by oaks, with bridges going over them. These 'canals of Little Amsterdam', once beautiful, sadly became an unofficial waste disposal system. In Victorian days, they were systematically covered over. Today these canals, now tunnels about 2m in diameter, still exist and relentlessly channel fresh, crystal-clear water from Table Mountain … currently, straight to the sea. During the trip we learn about the underground history of the city. Explorers need to be physically fit and surefooted because certain parts of the tunnels can be slippery. There are a number of obstacles and ladders to climb.
- A guided tour in the Castle of Good Hope
- 15h, Old Slave Church, 40 Long Street.
Event launch at the Old Slave Church.
- Openning/Welcoming note by Museum Curator
- Speech by one of WLM lead organizers
- Speech by representative of Heritage Western Cape
- Introduction of other partners/Collaborators
- Prospectus of WLM competition in the month of September
- Upload demonstration session
- Conclusion and finger dinner
Contact the organiser at email@example.com