How to participate
From Wiki Loves Monuments
How to participate
You can participate in Wiki Loves Monuments by taking pictures yourself and uploading them during the photo contest throughout the month of September. It does not matter when you took those pictures: the only thing that counts is that they are uploaded during September in the way described below.
- For an overview of the monuments with their numbers, see the lists of monuments page.
- For the rules and prizes, see the rules and awards pages respectively.
Creating an account
Wikimedia Commons is the central database for pictures and other media used on Wikipedia and other sites. To be able to participate in the Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest in South Africa, you need to have an account on Wikimedia Commons. If you do not have an account, you can easily create one: click on this link. To be eligible for the competition, you must register a valid e-mail address in your account on Wikimedia Commons.
To upload pictures you need to be logged into Wikimedia Commons: the link to log in is on the top right hand side of the page if you're not logged in. When you are logged in, the "Login/Register" link is replaced with your name on Wikimedia Commons. There are two ways to upload your photo:
Use the way you find most easy and comfortable, though we recommend the first. Below are some points to bear in mind when uploading.
Points to note
- Give the file a meaningful name that describes what the picture shows.
- Please include the monuments SAHRA code. A list of all grade I and II monuments and their SAHRA code can be found on our site here. If you have taken a picture of a location that does not have a SAHRA code but is of historical importance and you can motivate why then please add the code "New" instead.
- Select the appropriate province in South Africa and enter the number of the monument as specified in the monuments list.
- Enter a description of what is shown on the picture in as many languages as possible. For this, you can use the four entry fields for the languages English, Zulu, Afrikaans, and Sotho. You can also add more languages to the list while uploading.
- Specify if possible, an appropriate category when uploading.
- You can also help by adding the image of the monument to the relevant list of monuments.
- Pictures about other monuments and subjects, and pictures of monuments uploaded outside the month of September are not eligible to be entered into this competition, but are of course always welcome!